Saturday, February 04, 2006

Star streck

It is a rather pleasant evening here at Kochi.
I think I saw a monarch butterfly earlier. It was splattered against the windshield of the bus I was traveling in so it might have been anything from a largish dragon-fly to a smallish albatross, it is hard to be sure.
The bus by the way was my first VOLVO experience, I positioned myself at a wonderful vantage spot behind the driver and watched him with rapt attention for several hours. I must say, I was pretty impressed with the little studio apartment the driver has.
For trekkers such as myself, the similarity to the helm of the USS Enterprise, in ST:TNG; is more than obvious and infinitely thrilling! Also, as a spatial reference I was sitting roughly where Counsellor Deanna Troy would be (I also sat for a brief period in Lt. Cmdr. Riker’s seat and before you point it out, I did sit as slanty as I could and as is customary employed only one butt cheek. But, most awesome is the fact that the pneumatic door actuator sounds almost like the bridge door on USS Voyager. How cool is that!!!!! “Captain on the bridge!!!!” “Bridge is yours number 1”

Gear changes are at 2000 rpm. Something, I never knew before, I wonder if it is approximately the range on all buses. DIESEL TORQUE ROCKS! or more accurately TWISTS! I love diesel engines, they are never whiny, never high strung, take all the torture in the world with a manly grunt and run happily with with no fancy electrical bits, they are the bull-mastiffs of the automotive world, where formula 1 engines are the Chihuahuas.

No comments: